My First Hanami

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Today I went with Yuko to meet her friends for hanami. Hanami is a Japanese event where people get together to see cherry blossoms and usually eat picnics under the cherry trees. It's still early in sakura season, so the trees were only about half covered in blossoms. I will hopefully be going again next weekend and will see the trees in full bloom.

We each brought some food. I made tuna sandwiches, Yuko and her sister Haruna brought chicken and salad, Yuka brought yaki soba, Haruka brought a dish she invented that involved konyaku and spice, and another girl (forgot her name, sadly) brought a rice, egg, and fish combination. Everything was really tasty!

When we were finished eating, we played cards, or as it's called in Japan, toronpu (from trump). I had a fun time talking about musicians and English pronunciation with Haruka. She said she wants to learn how to pronounce English properly, because it's usually hard for Japanese people. Her pronunciation was actually very good, though.

0 comments: to “ My First Hanami so far...